A lot of people have been asking me how I went from barely being able to run 1 mile to running 10 miles all in 3 months. I’m still shocked myself. Remind you, I don’t even like running.
- The first month I focused on training my body and mind to get used to running so I ran everyday. I didn’t have a duration or distance in mind, it was more so to form the habit!
- Then, I kept my focus on distance rather than time. I am not a fast runner. I reminded myself to be like the tortoise rather than the hare: slow and steady wins the race.
- I run at a pace where I can breathe easily! I’m not out of breath and can hold a conversation. This is a key factor for me.
- I eventually pushed myself to run 3 miles…then 4..For me, it really does get easier after about the 3rd-4th mile because at that point I’m breathing at a steady pace and my body has become conditioned
- I tell myself to KEEP GOING when I’m tired or having mild discomfort
- I distract myself: good music, running with a friend, looking at all the cute dogs at the park.
I probably won’t try running 13.1 miles for my training. Now, I will focus on decreasing my time and improving my form.
I still don’t enjoy running, but I do like working towards my goal. I really feel proud of myself for coming so far in such a short amount of time!